Saturday, February 20, 2010

Yo quiero tacos... that taste GOOD

So I spent a whole bunch of time in California and am totally spoiled by the mexican food from the west coast. Even the diviest taco bars serve up flavors that meld perfect combinations of savory, tangy... and of course, spicy.

Last year, I was visiting my best friend in SF and after a night of barhopping, she had a hankering for some tacos.
This took me about 30-45 minutes... RIGHT before she passed out ;)

Recently she asked me for the recipe, so I figured I would post.
No photos because I havent made it recently...
but I was inspired by the tacos from El Taurino in LA (which still remains my favorite tacos ever in the history of the world.


a torta and 3 tacos
my favorite meal at el taurino



Ingredients:
1.5 lbs of a good cut of red meat (that night we used filet mignon which worked out very nicely)
bunch of cilantro
1/2 red onion
dash of white wine vinegar
small flour tortillas
hot sauce

Marinade:
2 limes
the other 1/2 of the red onion
2 cloves of garlic
a couple stalks of cilantro
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp white wine vinegar
pinch of sugar
salt
pepper


So first, cut up your meat into small about 1/2 inch cubes
Mix all the marinade ingredients and pour over your meat cubes.
Let them marinate in the mixture for 1-4 hours. (I usually let them sit around 3-4 hours, but that night I marinated only for the time i was busy doing other things... and it still turned out fine, so if you are in a rush, no biggie)

While your meat is marinating...
I like to toast up my tortillas, put a little bit of oil or butter in a sautee pan, set to medium heat, and just warm up your tortillas. You can cover them with a warm towel to keep em warm.
chop the onion pretty finely
discard the cilantro stalks and just chop up the leaves finely. combine those in a bowl with just a dash of the vinegar.
set aside in a plate. sometimes ill also chop in some plum tomatoes for color.

Once your meat is done marinating, cook it in your sautee pan, around 7-10 minutes or as done as you like your meat. Bottom line, it should smell delicious.

set up a plate with 2 tortillas, top it with a healthy helping of the carne, and then add the onion and cilantro mixture on top.
Serve with a lime slice and salsa or hot sauce on the side.

3 comments:

  1. Deeelicious! Thanks for the help, love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i remember those delicious dumplings you once made! hopefully you'll put a recipe up for them in your next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @derrick - i will TOTALLY make them soon. i tried to make em this wkd, but got negged :)
    i will do then nxt wkd if poss. hehe, u and ur gf shoudl come over for dins soon!

    ReplyDelete